January 21, 2012
Did you cook anything in honor of the legendary Betty White this week? I made a super spicy & smoky butternut squash soup on Tuesday, which just happened to coincide with my favorite (after Sophia) Golden Girl’s 90th birthday. For all the smokin’ hot 90-somethings…this one’s for you Betty, and my Grandmother Florence (who has you beat at 92).
Smokin’ Hot ‘Golden’ Squash Soup
Makes around 2 quarts, 4-6 servings
- 2 T Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp hot smoked paprika (up to 1 tsp for more heat)
- 6 cups cubed butternut squash
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 cup plain whole milk or Greek yogurt
- In a 4-qt pot, heat oil to medium and cook onion until soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir until it begins to darken slightly, a few minutes. Add the hot smoked Paprika and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Add the squash, water, and 1/2 tsp salt; stir. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook uncovered 30 minutes. Puree with immersion blender or traditional blender (if using traditional blender, allow space for steam to escape out of lid). Add additional salt to taste.
- Garnish each bowl with a spoonful of yogurt, and a sprinkle of smoked paprika if desired.